With all the talk, books, and training around leadership, I’d expect to see a plethora of truly excellent, life-impacting leaders in the world (or at least in my circles). Alas! Not so much.
I hear lots of leadership language. I hear lots of leadership words. But what I see is simply boss behavior, boss character, boss impact. I fear there is still about the same lack of real leaders in the world as there was 40 years ago.
Why do I say that?
- I see very few people putting their teams above themselves.
- I hear mostly “me” and “I” language in unguarded moments.
- I see an ocean of consistently disengage “followers” and employees.
- I see very little hope, aspiration, or inspiration.
- I see command and control in companies as much as I ever have.
- I see a sad tolerance and acceptance for weak ethics and dishonesty.
- I hear very few people say, “I want to be like her!”
- I see most companies relying on perqs and bribery rather than allegiance to something bigger than themselves.
- I see very little passions and a lot of “doing my job.”
It’s time for true leaders to step up, put self last, inspire a hopeful future, speak and live truth, and determine to make the world better by leading and serving others. What do you think?